The SHSM program has a number of required components, designed to give students a “leg-up” to pursue post-secondary opportunities in a variety of employment sectors. Students will also gain valuable experience and industry recognized certifications, which increase confidence in their ability to succeed and see the connections between their studies, the world beyond high school and future careers.
Pursuing an SHSM designation enables students to:
- Test-drive career options
- Focus their learning by taking courses designed to suit their interests and talents while meeting the requirements for the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD)
- Develop essential skills and work habits required in the workplace
- Experience hands-on learning
- Gain valuable work experience that will help build a resume for postsecondary programs and future employment
- Earn industry recognized certifications related to the chosen employment sector
- Take advantage of “reach ahead” opportunities which could include visits to sector-related industries, businesses, training facilities, skills competitions, colleges, universities and dual credit programs.